Table of contents:

Carbon monoxide poisoning: symptoms, first aid, prevention
Carbon monoxide poisoning: symptoms, first aid, prevention

You may only have a few minutes to save your life.

How to recognize carbon monoxide poisoning and what to do next
How to recognize carbon monoxide poisoning and what to do next

Why is carbon monoxide dangerous?

Carbon monoxide (carbon monoxide, CO) is produced by incomplete combustion of carbon in oil, petroleum, wood, coal, natural gas, and other organic matter. This happens when there is not enough oxygen in the air. For example, in confined spaces: a car, garage, basement, room or house with closed windows and doors.

When CO builds up in the air, the lungs begin to use it instead of the missing oxygen. Carbon monoxide enters the bloodstream, and red blood cells carry it throughout the body. The brain, heart, and other vital organs suffer from hypoxia and die off.

Sometimes 1-3 minutes are enough Carbon Monoxide Concentrations: Table from the first breath to death. Moreover, the victim does not even have time to understand what is happening to her. The fact is that carbon monoxide - “the silent killer Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer” - has no taste, no color, no smell.

Therefore, for any suspicion of carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately leave the premises and call the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning ambulance at 103 or 112.

And of course, try to help those who have suffered too.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

It is necessary to compare well-being and indirect factors.

What are the signs of mild poisoning

When CO first enters the bloodstream, the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Frequently Asked Questions are like influenza and are difficult to recognize right away. One after another appear:

  • dizziness;
  • dull headache (the head becomes "heavy");
  • throbbing in temples Carbon monoxide poisoning;
  • noise in ears;
  • weakness;
  • deterioration in coordination.

What are the symptoms of moderate to severe poisoning

If the concentration of carbon monoxide in the blood continues to increase, appear:

  • nausea, urge to vomit;
  • dyspnea;
  • pressing sensation in the chest;
  • arrhythmia (pulse suddenly becomes uneven);
  • confusion of consciousness;
  • light-headedness and fainting.

There is almost no time left for salvation.

What else can be considered

When in doubt, consider indirect factors Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer. Action must be taken immediately if:

  • symptoms appeared after any fuel combustion device (car engine, generator, stove, gas stove, heater, fireplace) was turned on;
  • symptoms occurred simultaneously in several people in the room.

What to do with mild carbon monoxide poisoning

If the problem is limited to dizziness and weakness, it is usually enough to get out into the fresh air and call an ambulance. Then you can drink strong tea or coffee, smell ammonia.

If there is a person near you with symptoms of gas poisoning, do not leave him alone until the medics arrive. His condition may worsen at any time, so your help may be needed.

How to provide first aid for moderate to severe carbon monoxide poisoning

If you have the most severe symptoms of poisoning, do what you can.

1. Provide fresh air

The first step is the same: the victim should be in the fresh air as soon as possible. It is advisable for him to lie down on his back. Be sure to unfasten the collar and belt to make breathing easier and call an ambulance right away.

2. Adjust the pose

If the victim is unconscious, it is necessary to give him a safe position - on his right side with his back up, with his left arm and leg bent. This will relieve pressure on the chest and airways, and prevent the tongue from sinking into the larynx.

First aid for carbon monoxide poisoning
First aid for carbon monoxide poisoning

3. Warm the victim

Wrap the person up or place a heating pad or a bottle of warm water on their feet. Remember, those who have been poisoned by carbon monoxide are less sensitive to pain and are more prone to burns. So don't overdo it.

4. Give artificial respiration and chest compressions

Bend your cheek to the victim's mouth and try to feel the breath. At the same time, pay attention to whether the chest is moving. Wait 10 seconds. During this time, a person must inhale at least twice. If less, start artificial respiration and chest compressions.

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation should be continued until the person begins to breathe on their own or doctors arrive.

5. Do not expect that the person will lie down and come to himself

Vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion and even more fainting are sure signs of serious disturbances in the work of the brain and internal organs. You can't do without doctors.

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

It is enough to follow a few rules of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

1. Use only serviceable equipment

A clogged chimney, cracks in the stove masonry or the exhaust pipe of a car can cause carbon monoxide to enter the air and cause poisoning.

If you have a fireplace or stove in your home, keep them intact and clean your chimney and chimney annually. To solve the problem with the exhaust pipe, contact a workshop. If we are talking about a malfunction of gas appliances, the service center will help you.

2. Use gas appliances for their intended purpose

Do not heat the room with a stove or oven. Light travel torches only outdoors.

3. Take care of ventilation

Do not run appliances that run on fossil fuels (generators, car engines, gas stoves, ovens and water heaters, stoves and fireplaces) in unventilated areas such as a basement, garage, rooms with closed windows.

For example, drive the car to fresh air before warming it up.

4. Install carbon monoxide detectors

For example, in the kitchen (where gas stoves, water heaters, solid fuel or gas boilers are often located), in the living room (a fireplace or stove is dangerous here), in the bedroom, garage. If the sensor is not powered, check the battery charge regularly.

When you hear the alarm, immediately get out into the fresh air and call 112.

5. Be careful when handling solvents

Some solvents used when working with varnishes and paints are based on methylene chloride (aka dichloromethane, methylene chloride). If inhaled, this chemical can decompose to carbon monoxide and therefore can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you have to work with these solvents, only do it outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.

Popular by topic