Table of contents:
- What is high blood pressure and how dangerous it is
- How to quickly lower blood pressure at home
- How to permanently lower blood pressure without medication
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-07-28 10:38
And 10 more, which will help you forget about high blood pressure forever.
What is high blood pressure and how dangerous it is
High blood pressure has been called 17 Effective Ways to Lower Your Blood Pressure a silent killer, and for good reason. Hypertension (hypertension) often does not have pronounced symptoms, but dramatically increases the risk of developing dangerous cardiovascular disorders and stroke.
Blood pressure is measured in two-number format. For example, 120/80. Or 200/140. Or 90/60. Here's what these numbers mean:
- The first - systolic pressure - indicates how much (in millimeters of mercury) the blood presses on the walls of blood vessels during a heart beat.
- The second, diastolic pressure, records the blood pressure when the heart is resting between beats.
In general, vessels are elastic things. But if the blood pressure gets too high, they may not be able to handle it. A rupture of a vessel in any of the important organs leads to serious consequences - up to and including death.
How much pressure is too much? There is a completely unambiguous answer to this question. Not long ago, the American Heart Association lowered High blood pressure redefined for first time in 14 years: 130 is the new high to 130/80. Previously, indicators of 140/90 were considered dangerous.
If you record your blood pressure at this level or higher, you are at risk. Urgent action is needed.
How to measure pressure correctly →
How to quickly lower blood pressure at home
Let's say right away: if health is dear to you (and we believe it is dear), you need to contact a therapist with complaints of hypertension. Depending on the blood pressure level, your lifestyle and other factors, the doctor will select an individual prevention and treatment plan for you and, most likely, prescribe medications that will help bring blood pressure readings to normal levels.
But if for some reason you have not yet reached the doctor, here are some ways to help lower your blood pressure. Choose the one that seems more comfortable to you, or combine several for maximum effect.
1. Breathe deeply
As the HEART HEALTH Just Breathe: How to Use Breathing Exercises to Lower Blood Pressure studies show, proper deep breathing is one of the most effective ways to quickly lower blood pressure.
- Relax, close your eyes. This will help reduce stress levels - one of the main triggers of hypertension.
- Inhale deeply for a count of 5. Inhale not with your chest, but with your stomach. To control, put your hand on it - you should feel how your stomach rises.
- Then exhale and count to 5 again.
Breathing deeply for 3-5 minutes will increase blood flow to all tissues in your body, including your limbs. Due to this, the pressure in the vessels will decrease.
You can try to hold your breath after exhaling for 8-10 seconds - choose the exercise option that seems more comfortable to you.
2. Take a hot bath
Pour about 45 ° C water into a basin and immerse your hands or feet in it for 10 minutes. Hot water will cause the vessels in the extremities to expand, blood will flow to them, and the blood pressure will decrease slightly.
3. Plunge into cool water
Lie down to your shoulders in a 32-degree bath. The body will cool down, the body will lower the heart rate, and this, in turn, will reduce the Scientific Evidence-Based Effects of Hydrotherapy on Various Systems of the Body pressure by 11-12%. If you only hold your hands in cool water, this will not give an effect.
4. Drink warm mint tea
Boil a pinch of mint leaves in boiling water for 10 minutes, let cool and drink the tea in slow sips. As such, peppermint can lower the Effects and Safety of Menthol on Blood Pressure and Metabolic Parameters in Prehypertensive and Mild Hypertensive Patients (ESMAB) blood pressure.
5. Make an apple cider vinegar compress or drink vinegar water
Soak cheesecloth in apple cider vinegar (3-9%) and apply the damp cloth to your feet for 10-15 minutes. This is a popular folk method. True, there is no convincing evidence of its effectiveness today (scientists simply did not check whether a compress can lower pressure). However, in some cases, vinegar can actually help.
Thus, it was established by Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect that apple cider vinegar contains substances that, when taken orally, can reduce blood pressure (at least in rats it works). The studies have not yet been completed, but they clearly have prospects.
Therefore, if you want to use apple cider vinegar to reduce blood pressure, it is scientifically more effective to take it internally. For example, adding Using Apple Cider Vinegar to Help Lower Blood Pressure a teaspoon of liquid to a glass of water.
As a rule, in this form, table vinegar is safe (just as it is safe when dressing salads). But keep in mind that this method should be abandoned if after use you have a toothache or heartburn, nausea, or an upset stomach.
6. Take valerian
Or drugs based on it, such as Corvalol. Valerian is a powerful sedative that helps the body deal with stress. The heart will begin to beat more calmly, and the blood pressure will decrease. Important: when taking, do not exceed the dose indicated in the instructions!
How to permanently lower blood pressure without medication
Let us remind you once again: the above methods to reduce blood pressure at home are emergency measures. To fight the "silent killer" is necessary only with the help of a doctor, scrupulously following his recommendations.
But there is good news as well. The level of pressure is greatly influenced by lifestyle. It is enough to change it to a healthy side, and hypertension will either recede altogether, or your need for medications will significantly decrease.
Experts from the reputable research organization Mayo Clinic have compiled a list of 10 ways to control high blood pressure without medication out of 10 essential life changes:
- Lose excess weight. Each kilogram lost will lower your blood pressure by about 1 point.
- Exercise regularly. Your choice is aerobic exercise: long walks, jogging, cycling, swimming, dancing. Dedicate at least 30 minutes a day to these activities. In this case, you will be able to reduce the pressure by another 5-8 points.
- Eat healthy foods. More fruits, vegetables, cereals (cereals), less fat, semi-finished products, baked goods. Revising your diet will help you "subtract" up to 11 points from your blood pressure.
- Reduce the amount of salt in your diet. Just a little bit. This will help lower the pressure by 5-6 points. Remember: WHO and other authoritative sources recommend The Salt Myth - How Much Sodium Should You Eat Per Day? consume no more than 1,500-2,300 mg of salt per day, which is less than a teaspoon!
- Limit your alcohol intake. It is enough to reduce the consumed dose to one drink per day for women or two for men. One drink in this context is equal to 350 ml of beer or 150 ml of wine. Do not exceed this dose and your blood pressure will drop by another 4 points.
- Stop smoking. Each cigarette adds a little blood pressure to you.
- Drink less coffee. However, this is a bit of a controversial issue, since scientists are still debating the effect of coffee on the level of pressure. The fact is that in some people caffeine causes an increase in blood pressure, while in others this effect is not observed. If you belong to the first category (check: measure the pressure before the coffee break and 30 minutes after it and compare the indicators), it is better to refuse the drink.
- Try to reduce stress. Chronic stress is one of the main triggers of high blood pressure.
- Monitor your blood pressure at home and consult your doctor regularly. Home monitoring can help you better understand which lifestyle changes work and which don't.
- Seek support from family and friends. Let them know about your problem and ask for help. Caring for loved ones will make your struggle easier and reduce stress.
Hypertension is a terrible enemy of humanity. Sores are responsible for millions of deaths. Perhaps you are also sick and do not even know about it
It is impossible to ignore attacks of hypotension. The life hacker figured out for what symptoms an ambulance should be called, and for which - go to the doctor, and collected scientifically proven ways to increase blood pressure without medication
A blood type diet is as effective as a regular healthy diet. So it can be observed, but without fanaticism
It's time to find out what actually happens in the body, if you eat a lot of sweets, touch a toad or watch welding. Spoiler: no, it won't stick together
Window cleaning robots are also great for cleaning tiles and polishing mirrors. Our selection includes both premium and budget models