Table of contents:
- What you need to know before using compression stockings
- What to do before putting on compression stockings
- How to put on compression stockings
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-07-28 10:38
It is not as easy as we would like it to be.
Compression stockings are elastic underwear made of special dense knitwear. They are worn to reduce swelling in the legs, improve blood circulation, support veins with varicose veins, and reduce the risk of thrombosis.
There are different types of stockings with different degrees of compression (compression), which also changes from bottom to top or vice versa. Only a doctor should choose underwear depending on the leg problem you want to solve.
For compression stockings to be truly effective and last as long as possible, you need to handle them properly.
What you need to know before using compression stockings
Here are some simple guidelines that phlebologists give.
- Hand wash your stockings immediately after purchase. This will make the knitted fabric softer and more elastic.
- Buy two pairs at once if you can afford it. Stockings must be worn every day, and don’t wear wet so as not to stretch. Therefore, it would be good to have a replacement in case the first pair needs to be washed.
- Keep your stockings near your bed. This way you can put them on right after waking up. At this time, the swelling on the legs is the least.
What to do before putting on compression stockings
- Make sure your fingernails and toenails don't ruin the knitwear. Ideally, they should be trimmed straight or filed.
- Make sure your toes and feet are free of rough calluses and burrs. They, too, can damage or even tear the stockings.
- Remove jewelry from fingers and toes.
- If possible, buy special gloves for compression hosiery. They are sold in pharmacies and are just needed to make it easier to put on tight stockings. Gloves have a grooved surface on the fingers so that the hands will not slip off the fabric.
- To make the stockings easier to put on, you can first apply a little talcum powder or a special silicone lotion to the skin of the legs. Such products are also sold at the pharmacy and improve the glide of the knitted fabric on the skin.
- If for some reason you were unable to put on stockings in the morning, try to reduce the swelling. To do this, lie down for 5-10 minutes, raising your feet above the level of your heart. For example, placing them on a pillow or sofa cushion.
How to put on compression stockings
Such underwear is very tight on the leg. Therefore, putting on stockings, especially if they have a high degree of compression, is still a task.
How to wear closed toe compression stockings
Turn your stocking or golf course completely inside out.
Screw the stocking foot back in. Insert your foot into the formed "tube" and gently pull the stocking so that it covers the heel.
At this point, you might be tempted to grab the loose top of the stocking and simply unfold it on your leg. But you can't do that.
Grasp the stocking with your fingers near the heel. And in short movements, gradually and gently pull it over your leg.
Be careful not to wrinkle. If necessary, straighten the stocking on your leg with stroking movements.
How to wear open toe compression stockings
Such models often come with a special “silk” sock, which facilitates sliding. If you have one, put it on your foot.
Turn the compression stocking completely inside out.
Then wrap the bottom of the stocking back the length of your foot.
Insert your foot into the formed "tube" and gently pull the stocking so that it covers the heel.
Grab the top layer of the stocking around the middle of your foot with your toes and gently pull the knit over your ankle. Be careful not to wrinkle.
Pull the jersey over your leg, grabbing the stocking with your fingers and pulling it up in short movements.
Smooth out with your palms to remove wrinkles and tighten the slip sock.
In some constructions with repeating words, any characters will be superfluous, in others, options with and without a hyphen are possible
We figure out together with a family psychologist whether it is worth continuing the relationship with a partner when it is no longer possible to close our eyes to problems
To put a password on a folder, you only need one application. Or even nothing at all, except for the built-in functions of the operating system
The life hacker has prepared step-by-step instructions on how to remove and put on lenses in various ways and how to care. It's easier than you think
Spoiler alert: Both words are correct. Therefore, in order not to be considered illiterate, when using the verb - to wear or put on - take into account the context