Table of contents:
- What is important to know
- How to connect a compatible gamepad to a PC via USB
- How to connect a compatible gamepad to a PC via Bluetooth
- How to connect an incompatible gamepad to a PC using third-party software
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-07-28 10:38
There are several ways for different situations.
What is important to know
About input standards
Modern gamepads run on computers through the XInput programming interface, which Microsoft developed to support Xbox controllers on Windows. Third-party gamepads also work through it. Prior to the introduction of the Xbox 360 in late 2005, the DirectInput standard was also in use. Nowadays, it is used only in a few games that support specific controllers like joysticks, steering wheels and steering wheels for simulators.
These standards are not interchangeable. They differ in that XInput has a fixed button assignment, as in Xbox consoles, and DirectInput allows you to change and reassign the function of any key.
About compatibility in games
Almost all modern games since 2006 use the XInput standard. DirectInput is found only in simulators. API support depends on the specific game: if the developers have not implemented it, the gamepad of an incompatible standard will not work (although it can still be used, more on that below).
Game controllers may support XInput or DirectInput depending on the model and manufacturer. Some gamepads are compatible with both standards - in them you can change the mode of operation using a special switch or by holding down a certain key combination.
There are special programs that allow you to turn a DirectInput device into XInput, as well as simulate keystrokes on the keyboard using the gamepad buttons. In the latter case, you can play on the controller even those games that do not initially support it.
How to connect a compatible gamepad to a PC via USB
With wired controllers, everything is extremely simple. They have maximum compatibility and are almost guaranteed to work on Windows, macOS and Linux. All operating systems have support for universal manipulators and built-in drivers. The same is true for connecting wireless devices via cable. However, with this method, some of their additional functions may not be available.
- Connect the controller to your PC by plugging the end of the cable into one of the USB ports. Desirable directly, without using hubs and extension cords.
- Wait a little while the device is recognized by the system and configured. On Windows, appropriate notifications will be displayed at this time. On macOS and Linux, there are usually no messages, and the gamepad just starts working.
- Start the game and make sure everything is connected.
How to connect a compatible gamepad to a PC via Bluetooth
There are nuances with wireless gamepads. For everything to work, the controller must first of all be compatible with the OS. Further, to connect, you need a wireless adapter from the kit. In the case of a direct connection via Bluetooth, this communication protocol is supported by the computer itself - using a built-in module or an external USB adapter.
- Make sure Bluetooth is turned on on your PC.
- Activate the detection mode on the controller using the combination of buttons indicated in the instructions. For example, for a PlayStation 4 DualShock 4, you need to hold Share and PS until the indicator light starts flashing.
- Open Bluetooth settings on your computer. In Windows, go to the Start menu, click on the gear, select Devices → Bluetooth and other devices and then Add Bluetooth or other device. In macOS - "Settings" → Bluetooth. In Linux, click on the Bluetooth icon on the taskbar, and then on the "Add a new device …" item.
- When the PC detects the gamepad, click on it in the list of devices, select "Add" or "Connect" and wait until the pairing is complete.
How to connect an incompatible gamepad to a PC using third-party software
If your gamepad only supports DirectInput and the game simply does not see it, the TocaEdit X360 Controller Emulator program, or shortly x360ce, will help. It can replace input commands from DirectInput to XInput and will turn any controller into a compatible one.
The x360ce works almost automatically and independently recognizes and reassigns buttons. It is enough to connect a gamepad and follow the prompts.
If the gamepad is not supported at all in the game, it can still be made to work with the free utilities Enjoyable, InputMapper, and AntiMicro, which will simulate keyboard keystrokes and mouse movements using the game controller.
The interface is slightly different depending on the application, but they all work according to the same principle. After connecting the gamepad, you must select it in the list of devices, and then go through all the buttons and assign to them those keys that are used to control the game.
Two pairs of AirPods can be connected to one iPhone or iPad using Share Audio or manually. It only takes 1-2 minutes
Social Lion, Emergency Exit, As If and other techniques will make it easier for the introvert to communicate with people and help to have a good time at a party, cope with public speaking and ask for a raise
With or without a microphone, USB and wireless - any headphones can be connected to a computer or laptop in a minute. Lifehacker's article will help you with this
With this comprehensive guide, you will be able to properly connect the washing machine to all the necessary communications. The main thing is to choose the connection method that suits you
You can connect your phone to the TV via USB, HDMI or Wi-Fi. Choose what you like best and view content on the big screen