Table of contents:
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-22 06:26
You can handle cleaning with almost any filler.
The pillow touches your face every day, so keeping it hygienic is especially important. It is necessary to regularly not only wash the pillowcases, but also clean the pillows themselves. Do this three or four times a year. Which method depends on the type of filler.
How to care for pillows with different fillings
Give your pillows regular attention to help them last longer. Let them air a little in the morning before making the bed. If you notice an unpleasant odor, remove them to fresh air. After purchase, study the information on the label - perhaps the manufacturer advises special care measures.
Most pillows can be safely put in the washing machine. General recommendations are:
- Check all seams on the pillow before washing. If there are holes, be sure to sew them up.
- Load a maximum of two pillows into the drum at a time. If you put more of them tightly together, they may not wash off enough. Naturally, consider the dimensions of the drum of your washing machine. Perhaps only one large item will fit in it.
- Place a few wash balls in the machine to keep the pillows fluffy. If there are no special balls, take light plastic ones for massage or small rubber ones that pets play with.
- Use a gentle wash and liquid detergent, better for delicate fabrics.
How to clean a lint pillow
- Knock out the pillow to remove most of the dust.
- Choose a temperature of 30 degrees. If your machine has a separate "Down" mode, use it.
- Turn on an extra cold rinse and spin at the maximum number of revolutions.
- After washing, knead the lumps in the pillow. Place it on a towel or sheet and roll it up to remove excess moisture. Then leave to air dry so that the breeze blows around the pillow.
How to clean a synthetic pillow
- Choose a temperature of 40 degrees.
- Start spinning at maximum speed.
- Dry your pillow horizontally in a well-ventilated area. To make it dry faster, temporarily wrap it with a towel, it will absorb excess moisture.
How to clean a latex or memory foam pillow
Dust mites will not get caught in these orthopedic pillows, but they still need to be cleaned regularly. You cannot wash in a typewriter.
- Remove the pillowcase and wash it according to the recommendations on the tag. If you cut it off, select the regular hot water cycle.
- Vacuum the pillow on both sides to get rid of dust and dirt. If there is a dryer, put the product in there for 20 minutes, using the non-heating mode.
- If there are stains on the pillow, scrub them with soapy water, then wipe with a clean, damp cloth. Foam that gets wet tears easily, so be careful.
- Let the pillow dry completely before putting the pillowcase back on.
How to clean a cotton pillow
Be careful: only items filled with cotton (cotton) fibers can be washed. Take the cotton wool pillow to the dry cleaner.
- Choose a temperature of 40 degrees.
- Turn on the spin at low speeds.
- Dry horizontally, kneading the filler periodically to avoid clumping.
How to clean a silk pillow
- Set the temperature to 30 degrees.
- Do not spin: it can damage the delicate silk threads.
- Dry the pillow horizontally away from batteries and sunlight.
How to clean a wool pillow
- Choose a temperature of 30 degrees.
- Use special detergents for wool.
- Do not wring out the pillow. It can be dried using the Drying Mode or horizontally on clotheslines in warm and dry weather, but not in direct sunlight.
How to clean a bamboo and eucalyptus pillow
- Set the water temperature to no more than 40 degrees.
- Run the rinse and spin cycle at minimum speed.
- Dry horizontally, shaking and inverting occasionally. This is necessary so that lumps do not form in the filler.
How to clean a seaweed pillow
- Choose a temperature no higher than 40 degrees.
- Set the spin at a low speed.
- Dry on a horizontal surface.
How to clean a buckwheat pillow
Pillows with buckwheat husks and pine nut husks always stay clean inside. But if it's time to wash the cover, you can freshen up the filler at the same time.
- Empty the contents of the cover into a separate cloth bag. Shake and hang to dry in the sun.
- Shake off the cover and soak in a mild detergent solution. Then wash like normal bedding.
- Iron the dry cover before replacing the filler.
How to know when it's time to change your pillow
No matter how carefully you take care of your pillows, from time to time you will still have to buy new ones. To check, fold the product in half. If it doesn't expand and take its normal shape, it's time to look for a replacement. If the pillow has a strange smell that does not go away even after washing, it is better to get rid of it too.