Table of contents:
- What kind of glue did you get dirty
- How to rub off silicate glue
- How to rub off rubber glue
- How to scrub superglue
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-22 06:26
In every house you can find a thing that needs to be fixed. And it is important not only to repair it, but also to be able to wash off silicate, rubber and even superglue.
What kind of glue did you get dirty
There are a huge number of types of glue, each with a unique composition. Methods for removing stains will vary depending on it. In everyday life, we most often use:
- PVA glue,
- glue stick,
- wallpaper glue,
- silicate glue (liquid glass),
- rubber glue,
- Super glue.
The first three types - with rare exceptions - are water-soluble, there should be no problems with their removal. We will consider the rest in more detail.
How to rub off silicate glue
Silicate glue, or liquid glass, is an aqueous alkaline solution of sodium, potassium or lithium silicates. It dissolves in water, so if this prankster is guilty of your dirty clothes, prepare basins.
- If the glue has just spilled, rinse the stains with warm water: fresh stains can be removed easily.
- If the glue has dried on the skin, the recipe is the same. And you can add some soap.
- If the glue has dried on your clothes, dissolve 3-4 tablespoons of baking soda in a liter of water. Soak things in this solution for several hours. Then remove the residue with a brush or scraper.
- If the liquid glass has dried on the glass, chances are slim. Due to the similarity of the materials, diffusion begins. The only thing you can do is to soak the stain in water for a few hours, and then scrape it off with a razor blade. Alas, traces will remain in any case.
How to rub off rubber glue
Rubber glue, and in particular the popular "Moment Classic", is made on the basis of rubbers and hardens due to evaporation from the solvent composition. To remove the glue, prolonged soaking in water, exposure to acetone, gasoline or kerosene will help. If the stain is fresh, rinse it off as soon as possible before it hardens.
How to remove rubber glue from skin
- Try to wash dried glue from your hands with plenty of warm soapy water.
- If that doesn't work, use moisturizers such as vegetable oil, fatty cream, or petroleum jelly. Rub any of these substances into the leather until the glue begins to roll off.
- If that doesn't help, let's move on to heavy artillery. Apply acetone (nail polish remover) to a cotton swab and apply to the stain for a few minutes until the glue softens. Be careful, use this method only on small areas of the skin.
Tip for the future: Do not twist off the cap of the tube with your teeth unless you want your lips to stick together.
How to remove rubber glue from clothing
- Soak things for several hours in water with laundry soap (a tablespoon of grated soap per liter of water). If the glue has not adhered to the fibers of the fabric, this method should be sufficient for a complete cleaning.
- Try to remove especially stubborn dirt with acetone or gasoline. Apply a small amount of liquid to a cotton swab and treat the stains. After that, wash the item as usual. Acetone and gasoline can discolor or damage the fabric. Test their effect on a small area before use.
- If you need to wipe the glue off silk or wool, you need a more gentle cleaning method. Add citric acid (20 grams) or a tablespoon of 70 percent vinegar essence to water (100 ml). Apply the solution to the stains, and then wash in the washing machine, choosing the delicate mode.
- Nothing suitable at hand? You can try the critical temperature method: heat the fabric with a hair dryer, and then place it in the freezer. The glue will break down and become brittle and can be scraped off with a knife.
How to scrub superglue
Superglue is a cyanoacrylate-based synthetic adhesive. It hardens on contact with water and does not dissolve in ethanol, so baths and alcohol compresses are powerless here. Dimethyl sulfoxide (don't be alarmed, you can find it in any pharmacy under the trade name "Dimexide") and acetone are useful for removing superglue.
If the stain is fresh, do not rinse it with water; look for nail polish remover faster. Acetone perfectly dissolves liquid superglue. With a frozen one, everything is more complicated.
How to remove superglue from skin
- Leather is a more malleable material than cured glue. Soften it with cream or oil: this will reduce the adhesion of the spot to the epithelium.
- Make a scrub: mix a spoonful of fine salt, sugar or ground coffee with a small amount of liquid soap and gently rub the stained areas.
- As a last resort: File off the glue with a nail file. This method is only suitable for tight skin on the fingers.
- If the glue stain on the skin is not uncomfortable, just forget about it for 2-3 days. The sebaceous glands themselves will push it off the surface.
How to remove superglue from clothes
- Apply a little acetone or "Dimexide" to the dirt using a cotton swab. Leave it on for 20-40 minutes and then wash it as usual. Pre-test the tissue's response to these substances in a small, inconspicuous area.
- The critical temperature method will also help. Heat the fabric with a hairdryer, and then put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Superglue, when hardened, turns into a kind of plastic, becomes brittle, so that it can be scraped off.
How to remove superglue from plastic
Better not to take risks with acetone (it can discolor things), and scrubs and files will damage the surface. Therefore, moisten a cotton swab with Dimexidum and wipe off the glue until the stain disappears. Do not be lazy to go to the pharmacy for the product: after that it can be used for cosmetic masks or lotions for athletes.
How do you deal with glue stains? Share your secrets in the comments.