Table of contents:
- How do fast diets work?
- Is it realistic to lose pounds in a week?
- Is there any harm from fast diets?
- Will the weight return for sure?
- Is it possible to follow at least some kind of express diet?
- How to tell if a diet is rubbish?
- Is there a benefit to fast diets?
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-22 06:26
Summer is approaching, which means that many are beginning to think about how to lose weight. It is advisable that in a few days and to lose at least 5 kg. The life hacker found out if this is real and what will have to be sacrificed.
How do fast diets work?
Express diets are conventionally divided into several types:
- You need to eat a week on a menu that contains a negligible amount of calories.
- It takes a week to eat the same set of foods with the same negligible amount of calories.
- You need to eat one superfood (or drink a cocktail) for a week, which will destroy fat and at the same time cure all diseases.
- You need to do something in addition to the above to detox. Here the imagination of the authors is limitless: from ordinary enemas to baths with a huge salt content and wraps with cling film.
All these methods combine two things. These are types of bullying, when the body is driven into extreme conditions. And it also, in theory, helps to lose weight quickly.
Is it realistic to lose pounds in a week?
Not always. Much depends on what your original weight was. A person with obesity (when the body mass index is more than 30) or simply overweight can theoretically lose a kilogram per day.
But this is not at all the weight to lose.
In theory, during a fast diet, the body must waste stored fat in order to obtain energy, which ceases to come from food.
In practice, the body does not understand well enough to understand why it has stopped being given normal nutrition. Therefore, it wastes not only fat stores, but also fluid with muscles.
And if a person initially did not have excess weight, just a desire to become even slimmer, then he really has nothing to lose. In this case, the express diet may not give any result.
Is there any harm from fast diets?
There is much more harm than good.
The reason is that with fast diets, weight loss is fluid loss. The body simply cannot process a few pounds of fat in a few days. Therefore, only water can quickly leave the body.
The fluid will leave at the same time from the skin, and from the blood, and from the muscles. In this case, the brain will suffer - it is on the nervous tissue that dehydration hits in the first place. The consequences are headache and fatigue.
However, weakness from lack of energy is the expected effect. But the appearance of gallstones is an unpleasant surprise, from which overweight people who have decided to abruptly go on a strict diet suffer.
The most harmful consequence of all these diets is the belief that this is the way to lose weight. Why do you need to monitor your diet every day, exercise regularly and generally think about your health, when you can suffer for several days and get results?
And naturally, such diets cannot be called balanced. The body does not have enough micronutrients, one after another, incomprehensible problems will be pulled. To understand what the constant pampering of such diets threatens, just read the forums.
Fans of extreme courses ask each other how to save themselves from stomach pains, problems with stools, hair loss, split nails, dizziness, eczema, insomnia, and loss of appetite. Some people wonder where menstruation has gone.
Are three kilograms of such sacrifices worth, especially since the weight will return, but the problems will remain.
Will the weight return for sure?
Will come back. This is a common occurrence. Fast diets do not "speed up" the metabolism. In general, there is no scientific evidence that any special combination of products in a short time can somehow change the processes of energy consumption in the body.
That is, express diets do not cope with the main task - to destroy fat reserves. They just destroy you.
Is it possible to follow at least some kind of express diet?
In fact, extremely low calorie diets are used. For example, when an obese patient is preparing for stomach reduction surgery, or when obesity is so advanced that a low-calorie diet will do more good than harm.
The principle of such a diet is about 800 calories per day. In this case, the diet should be varied, the diet is made up under the supervision of a doctor.
A more gentle method - 1,000–1,200 kilocalories per day for women, 1,200–1,600 for men.
And at the same time, the rate of weight loss is still no more than 1 kg per week.
How to tell if a diet is rubbish?
There are several marker phrases in the description of the diet that hint that someone decided to cheat you:
- Lose weight without dieting and exercise!
- Eat what you like and lose weight!
- Lose 15 kg in a month!
- Belly fat (thighs, buttocks) will go away!
- In just a week …
They should also be alerted by the “before and after” photos, in which everything is so good that it is simply impossible, and suspicious asterisks and footnotes in small print in the program description.
Is there a benefit to fast diets?
Fast diets are easier to follow. Firstly, it is not long and you know that you need to be patient a little. Secondly, they are simple: you don't need to think about what you can eat and what you can't, you don't need to rack your brains over recipes. Thirdly, if they work, then the result is visible immediately, there is no need to wait for it for months.
With a healthy weight loss, there are no such bonuses, there is only long-term work on yourself. But you can take on board some useful quick diet techniques.
- Make a diet for the week ahead. And do not think whether you can have a cake today or not. Less agony of choice - easier to diet.
- Record your weight every other day. Even small wins in the form of 100 grams will help you see progress, and this is the best motivation.
- Make your diet so that you do not have to endure. If you can't live without sweets, then make some low-calorie sweets. If you like fast food, make a hamburger with grain bread and boiled beef.
And the most important thing. If you nevertheless decide that you urgently need to lose weight with the help of extreme conditions, do not rush after a diet on all products in a row. Better yet, choose a program that will help you lose weight gradually. Then urgent measures will not be required.