2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-22 06:26
Essential oils are associated with something sophisticated and mysterious. Since ancient times, they have been used in medicine, cosmetology and cooking. In ancient Egypt, oils were saved from the scorching sun, in China and India they were treated, and in the Roman Empire and in the East they took care of the body. The beneficial properties of essential oils are still in demand today.
Essential oil is a fragrant volatile substance secreted from flowers, seeds, roots, leaves, fruits, wood or resin of plants.
Oils give the plants a scent. The properties of oils depend on the type of plants, the conditions of their cultivation, the part used, and also the method of production. Often, oils of different composition and smell are obtained from different parts of the same plant. Essential oils are obtained by distillation (from greens and bark), extraction (from inflorescences, petals and roots), and pressing (from peels and fruits).
Essential oils have a wide range of biological activities. Some of them are antiseptics, others are antispasmodics, the third regenerate cells, the fourth calm or, on the contrary, excite the nervous system. At the same time, essential oils are powerful agents that can not only help, but also harm if you do not follow the recommendations for use.
The table will help to understand the pharmacological properties of essential oils.
The use of essential oils
Essential oils cannot be applied to skin without a base. You should protect your eyes. Keep oils out of the reach of children. It is not recommended to use essential oils for pregnant women, as well as for people prone to allergies.
Essential oils are immiscible with water and are not applied in their pure form. In cosmetology and medicine, essential oils are used with a base. It can be wax, honey, milk, cream. But most often these are the so-called transport oils.
Bath and sauna
An aromatic bath is a great way to unwind after a hard day. Relieves stress and relaxes sandalwood, geranium, lavender and rose oils. Muscle tension (for example, after exercise) will help eliminate verbena and juniper oils. During colds, baths with pine or lemon oil are recommended.
- Before taking an aromatherapy bath, you need to wash yourself.
- The water temperature is 36–38 ºС.
- As a base, you can use honey, kefir, whey, milk, sea salt or transport oil.
- Do not use gel, shampoo, foam or other cosmetic products during the procedure.
- Frequency and time - 5-25 minutes, no more than three times a week.
- After taking an aromatic bath, do not rinse and wipe dry.
In the bath, the essential oil is added to a ladle of water to serve on the stove. Oils that improve breathing are recommended: cedar, eucalyptus, spruce and others. In addition, brooms can be moistened with a mixture of base and essential oils.
Essential oils enhance the healing properties of massage, improve skin condition and affect the nervous system. Different oils will have different pharmacological effects. So, cloves accelerate heating and stimulate blood circulation. Nutmeg relieves rheumatic pains, citrus fruits help break down adipose tissue, and rose, jasmine and sandalwood have a lifting effect.
- Massage mixture recipe: 3-5 drops of essential oil + 10-15 ml of base oil (for the body - peach, olive, apricot, almond; for the face - jojoba, macadamia, avocado).
- Choose an oil not only for its pharmacological properties, but also for its smell. It should be pleasing to the person receiving the massage.
- Give preference to gentle circular movements during the massage.
- After the session, you need to lie down for 10–20 minutes, you should not go outside for an hour.
Inhalation with essential oils is an excellent remedy for influenza (thyme, ginger), bronchitis (eucalyptus, pine, thuja), stomatitis (orange, calendula), as well as for cleansing the face (oregano, tea tree).
People with asthma and other serious respiratory diseases should be inhaled with the permission and supervision of their doctor.
- Apply a few drops of oil to a cloth or paper towel.
- Inhale the fragrance through your nose evenly and deeply for 5-10 minutes.
- If available, use a special inhaler.
- If the inhaler is not available, add 2-4 drops of oil to a container of hot water. Cover your head with a towel and inhale the vapors for 5-10 minutes. It is recommended to carry out the procedure with your eyes closed.
Aroma compresses help relieve pain in joints, back and soft tissues. Essential oils penetrate the skin to the problem area and have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antispasmodic effects.
For chronic diseases, consult your doctor about the possibility of using aromatic compresses.
- Dampen a flannel or other cotton cloth with cold water and apply 3-5 drops of essential oil to it.
- Apply to the damaged area. Secure with an elastic bandage.
- Or prepare a mixture of base and essential oils (30 ml - 15 drops), saturate a cloth with it and apply it to the diseased part of the body.
Enrichment of cosmetics
Since ancient times, oriental beauties have been using ethers as a means of personal care. Oils add to the cosmetic also a therapeutic effect.
Cosmetics with a neutral composition should be enriched. Products designed to address specific concerns (such as anti-aging) are best used without additives.
There are many homemade essential oil recipes. Here is some of them.
- Face mask: For 1 tablespoon of clay powder 2-3 drops of essential oil, then add water to achieve the consistency of a paste. Apply the mask to the face, avoiding the eye area, leave to dry and rinse with warm water.
- Face cream: take any neutral cream (for example, for children), prepare a mixture of base and essential oils. The first should correspond to the type of skin (dry, normal, combination, oily, problematic), and the second - the purpose of use (fight against rashes, moisturizing, and so on). The approximate dosage is 10-15 drops of the mixture per 150 g of the base.
- Skin lotion: dilute the herbal infusion with water (in equal proportions), dissolve 2-3 drops of essential oil in 1 teaspoon of alcohol and add to the strained solution. Rub the lotion over your face and neck.
- Fragrant: Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with 1-2 drops of essential oil, dissolve the mixture in water, pour into molds and freeze. Use scented ice cubes to wipe your face, relieve redness.
- Shampoo: use a product with the most natural composition, add oil to the palm of the shampoo directly during washing (1-2 drops) or into a bottle (13 drops per 100 ml).
Aroma lamps and aroma stones
Aroma lamps and aroma stones are used for aromatizing indoor spaces and aromatherapy.
- Ventilate the room.
- Pour warm water (50–55 ° C) into the bowl. The volume of the bowl is at least 50 ml, otherwise the water will evaporate too quickly.
- Add essential oil: 2 drops for every 5 sq. m area.
- Light a candle. The minimum distance from the flame to the bowl is 10 cm.
- The duration of the procedure is from 20 minutes to 2 hours. Add water periodically. Do not leave the lamp unattended.
- Apply 2-4 drops of oil to the stone.
- Place the stone on a table, closet, bag, or pocket.
- Add oil as the smell disappears.
Also, sachets are made with essential oils. An aromatic bag of rose oil will add a pleasant scent to your linen and clothes, and a lavender sachet on your bedside table will give you a sound sleep.
Wearing it is especially important during flu epidemics. Ginger, cedar, eucalyptus, mint and other oils help the body fight viruses and strengthen the immune system.
How to use fragrances?
- Select the oil according to its properties and smell.
- Put 2-3 drops into the pendant.
- Refill the pendant after three days.
These are the basic principles for using essential oils.