Table of contents:
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-22 06:26
An instruction for those who have long dreamed of frameless furniture.
How to choose materials for a beanbag chair
A beanbag chair consists of outer and inner covers and filling. First you need to decide on the fabric for the first part. Here's What You Can Use Choose the Right Fabric for Your Bean Bag Chairs!:
- Cotton. Breathable, pleasant to the touch and not very expensive. But there are disadvantages: easily soiled, quickly absorbs liquid and dries for a long time after washing.
- Leather. Bright material. Will fit into the interior, where there are already armchairs or sofas with the same covering. Requires maintenance and is expensive.
- Silk. Soft, lightweight and durable. It is better to wash a cover made of this fabric in dry cleaning.
- Artificial leather. It is much cheaper than natural. Flexible, waterproof, but tears easily.
- Micro-suede. Soft and silky to the touch. Strong and resistant to shrinkage, easy to wear. The downside is that Microsuede - Why It Stands The Test Of Time is very electrifying. …
- Nylon. Cheap and lightweight, almost tear-resistant. This fabric is simply washed with Nylon Advantages & Disadvantages and dries briefly. But the material quickly fades in the sun.
- Polyester. Poorly absorbing moisture: a chair made of this fabric can be put on the street and nothing will happen to it. The material is durable but electrified.
The inner case contains the filler. Therefore, the color and softness of the fabric are not so important for this part. The main thing is that the material is dense and breathable. For example, spunbond will do. Sometimes it is replaced with calico.
You can fill the chair with natural materials. These are rice, dried peas, wood chips. Their texture pleasantly massages tired muscles. The downside is that they attract pests. Feathers are also sometimes used. But in some people, they cause allergies.
The most popular option is polystyrene foam. These are small white balls. The material is lightweight - you can easily move the chair from one room to another. At the same time, the filler is tough enough to keep the shape of the furniture. It does not decompose. If you need to replace it with a new one, you will not go broke.
How to sew a do-it-yourself beanbag chair
In this manual, we explain how to make a chair out of coarse calico and expanded polystyrene. But you can replace the materials with those that you like best.
What is needed
- Calico - 120 × 180 cm;
- any soft fabric - 120 × 180 cm;
- sewing machine;
- leather strap - 25 × 5 cm;
- Velcro tape;
- expanded polystyrene - 100 l.
How to do
Take the coarse calico and fold it in half so that you get a rectangle measuring 90 × 120 cm. Sew along one of the short sides of the figure and along the long one. The bag will turn out.
Turn the part inside out. At ⅔, fill it with Styrofoam balls.
Pull the edges of the bag. Fold the fabric from the side of the hole so that the seam you used to fasten the long pieces of fabric is in the middle. This will give the workpiece a triangular shape.
Cover the hole with pins.
Sew up the bag and remove the pins. You now have the interior of the chair.
Take a soft cloth and fold it in half to form a 90 x 120 cm rectangle.
Run a seam along the long and one short sides of the workpiece. This is the second bag.
Slide the inside of the chair into the cover.
Connect the edges of the workpiece to each other. Fold the leather strip in half to create a loop. Insert the ends into the hole near the corner and sew. You get a pen.
Sew Velcro tape to the edges of the fabric from the inside of the hole. On one side there will be a strip with micro hooks, on the other - with micro loops.
Connect the pieces of tape to close the bag.
Details are in the video instructions:
What other options are there
It is not necessary to make a triangular chair out of coarse calico and soft fabric. You can experiment with different shapes and materials. It all depends on imagination and free time.
For example, here's how to make a pear chair:
If desired, the cover can be tied:
Try replacing the handle on the top of the chair with "ears":
Here are some photo ideas for inspiration. A ball chair that can be made of artificial or natural leather:
If you have a lot of old unwanted jeans at home, make a patchwork chair:
And here is a small armchair in the shape of a penguin: