Table of contents:
- Popular types of heaters
- Heating area
- Control types
- Additional features
- Dimensions and mountings
- Buyer's checklist
2023 Author: Malcolm Clapton | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-07-28 10:38
A detailed guide for those who want to make the apartment, dacha or even the yard even more comfortable.
Popular types of heaters
Each type of heater has its own advantages and disadvantages. After reading them, you will understand which device is best suited for your needs.
1. Oil heaters
Inside heaters of this type there is mineral oil, which is heated by the electric coil and gives off heat to the body. Such an apparatus consists of uniform sections and outwardly resembles a classic apartment battery.
Of two oil heaters of equal power, the one with fewer sections heats up more strongly. Therefore, it is more practical to take a model with a large number of sections to reduce the likelihood of accidental burns.
pros … Oil heaters operate without noise, retain heat for a long time after being turned off, and are considered environmentally friendly.
Minuses … Due to the extreme heat of the case, such devices can be dangerous to pets and small children. In addition, oil machines slowly warm up the room.
What to buy
- Oil radiator "Resant" with fan heater, 5 990 rubles →
- Oil heater Vitek with power control, 2 831 rubles →
- Centek oil heater with nine sections, 4 999 rubles →
The convector looks like a battery without sections. Heaters of this type let in cold air through the lower openings in the casing and heat it up. As a result, it becomes lighter and exits itself through the top of the device. Thus, natural air circulation occurs.
pros … Convectors are silent. They are not very hot, therefore they are safe for animals and children. These devices are often used as the main source of heating for summer cottages: they can be easily combined into a single heating network.
Minuses … Heating is slow, and the efficiency of the convector is highly dependent on its location: the lower the better.
What to buy
- Silent convector Tefal, 7 190 rubles →
- Convector Electrolux with electronic control, 5 859 rubles →
- Floor convector Scarlett, 1 990 rubles →
3. Fan heaters
These heaters distribute warm air by rotating the blades. Their housings are often equipped with an automatic rotary mechanism that ensures uniform heating of the surrounding area.
pros … Fan heaters are leading in terms of room heating speed. They consume relatively little energy, and thanks to the variety of available sizes and shapes, they easily fit into any decor.
Minuses … The main disadvantage of fan heaters is noise. And if the dust gets on the heat coil, then an unpleasant burning smell is added to it.
What to buy
- Silent fan heater Hyundai, 1 890 rubles →
- Brayer floor fan with remote control, 6 390 rubles →
- Fan heater Electrolux with temperature controller, 2 290 rubles →
4. Infrared heaters
Devices of this type use harmless infrared radiation. Therefore, like the sun, they do not heat the air, but objects falling under the rays: furniture, walls, floors, people. Some infrared heaters do not need electricity and run on gas.
pros … Such devices do not emit noise and are suitable for heating not only premises, but also gazebos, summer cottages and other open areas. In addition, infrared heaters are the most economical. Especially gas models that do not work from a cylinder, but from a natural gas main.
Minuses … These devices are not suitable for heating large rooms with many rooms. Areas not exposed to infrared rays remain cold.
What to buy
- Desktop heater Timberk, 1 199 rubles →
- Wall heater Ballu, 2 690 rubles →
- Ceiling heater Gigant, 3 060 rubles →
5. Electric fireplaces
An electric fireplace is a separate or built-in unit that follows the design of a traditional fireplace. By means of special illumination or other technologies, this device creates a convincing simulation of a flame.
pros … An electric fireplace is, first of all, a stylish decor element. You get the very comfort for which everyone loves fireplaces, but at the same time you save yourself from the hassle of wood, smoke and coal.
Minuses … Such devices do not heat well. Therefore, you should not rely on them in cold weather.
What to buy
- Electric fireplace with sound effect RealFlame, 20 599 rubles →
- Fireplace Electrolux on the control panel, 16 150 rubles →
- Built-in electric fireplace Dimplex, 23 509 rubles →
6. Thermal curtains
This type of heater stands alone. Thermal curtains do not so much heat the room as they maintain its temperature. Attached over doors and windows, they create downward air currents. These invisible barriers prevent heat transfer between the room and the street.
When choosing thermal curtains, pay special attention to their dimensions. The width of the devices should not be inferior to the width of door or window openings. Otherwise, the area of the air barrier may be too small.
pros … Heat curtains keep the room temperature at any time of the year and even prevent insects from getting inside.
Minuses … These devices hardly heat the room, they only keep the current temperature.
What to buy
- Thermal curtain Neoclima for a room of 30 m², 3 997 rubles →
- Ballu thermal curtain for a room of 60 m², 14 490 rubles →
- Thermal curtain "Tropica" for a room of 90 m², 14,280 rubles →
Before buying, make sure that the heater has enough power for the size of your room. To do this, look at the store's or manufacturer's website for the heating area that the device provides. It is better to buy a model with over-coverage than too limited. The increased power will cost you more.
You can also determine for yourself what value of this indicator will be optimal for you.
It is believed that heating one square meter of an unheated room requires at least 100 W of device power.
If the heater serves as an additional source of heat, then 60–80 watts will be enough for one square meter.
Mechanically controlled heaters usually only allow power and temperature levels to be selected. Electronically controlled models are more expensive, but often offer more settings and different modes of operation. In addition, they have a display that displays temperature and other indicators, and it is convenient to interact with them from a distance using the remote control.
When choosing a heater, it is worth remembering additional functions and characteristics. Some of them can play a decisive role for you when choosing a device.
For example, if you want to buy a bath or sauna machine, make sure it is protected from moisture. And in order for the heater to strictly maintain the temperature you set, choose a model with a thermostat. Other useful features that might interest you include a timer, fall and overheat auto shut-off, a humidifier, and so on.
Dimensions and mountings
To make the heater convenient and optimal for the room conditions, pay attention to the dimensions and available installation methods. So, some devices are sold with mounts for walls or ceilings, others are compact enough to work on a table, and still others have wheels for easy transportation on the floor. There are some that are suitable for different conditions of use.
- For complete space heating, choose fan heaters, oil heaters or converters. The first is the best option for those who are not afraid of noise. If the noise is unacceptable and there are no children in the room, choose oil machines. If you are afraid of burns or want to organize heating for your summer cottage, buy convectors.
- For economical local heating, such as a workplace, bathroom, garage or gazebo, choose infrared heaters. The most mobile will be the model with a gas cylinder.
- If aesthetics is more important to you than warmth, take a closer look at electric fireplaces.
- Buy heat curtains if you want to keep the heat provided by your main heating system.
- Be sure to check that the heating area matches the size of your room.
- If you value convenience, choose an electronically controlled device.
- Pay attention to the list of additional functions, dimensions and methods of fixing the heater.
The life hacker listened to several hundred songs and chose those that will definitely delight you. We promise: this Christmas music will give you a holiday feeling
The life hacker found wonderful jewelry, needlework kits, certificates and other gifts for mom on March 8th. Make the most important person happy
You no longer have to puzzle over what to give the teacher on March 8th. The life hacker did everything for you: in the article you will find interesting ideas for any budget
No sweets and bouquets - only useful things. If you have no idea what to give the teacher on March 8 and not be trivial - Lifehacker's article for you
Lifehacker compiled a simple instruction on choosing a water heater for those who do not want to freeze in the shower and overpay for light